I’m Diego from Argentina and after a while I decided to share one of the many projects/ideas that I’ve developed. I’m a professional software developer, and when I was learning NodeJS/SocketIO/etc, I came up with the idea to combine them to resolve this issue (getting info from the scoreboards). In my country almost every basketball event broadcast (tv/streaming) use a few cameras for showing the score and the timer on the scoreboard graphic also. I though that it should exist an affordable solution for CaspaCG too. I don’t know if this is going to be the right solution but I would like that you give it a try. Below there is a basic documentation and some videos. Thank you for giving us a great open source project like CasparCG!!
This is a prototype of web app (NO production ready) for getting info from electronic scoreboards using OCR detection (7 segment). It was created as a low cost option for working with CasparCG to have professional scoreboard graphics on sports event broadcasting.
- Detects/reads 7 segments scoreboards.
- Send information directly to custom CasparCG html template (only html).
- No more score or timer cam. You can use it even to read just the score and take out that task from the operator.
- Master/slave node setup for reading info from different scoreboards (i.e. main scoreboard and shot timer).
- Set the fields to read and then save them as a layout (for reusing them).
- Control input/webcam settings (only on linux with uvcdynctrl).
- Log files listing and viewer for debugging use.
- CasparCG Server 2.0.7
- CasparCG Client (optional)
- Webcam or any input used as webcam (compatible with linux)
- PC/Notebook or raspberry pi
- Node.js v6.10.3 or superior
- NPM v3.10.10 or superior
- Windows command prompt console (windows) or similar application (Console). For linux you need a terminal.
- A compatible browser (Chrome, Firefox, Chromium). All the development was tested using Chromium 58 x64.
For installing Node.js read the download section from the official site. This also installs npm (Node Package Manager).
Check the versions with the commands (console/terminal):
$ node -v $ npm -v
Download the application file from here and extracted to a folder.
Go to the application folder and run this command (console/terminal):
$ npm install
And finally run this command (console/terminal):
$ node app.js
Now open a browser and go to this url:
Now you’ll see the home page of Scoreboard OCR (only enabled from the same device because the input is the webcam). Allow access to the camera or use the demo mode, then start setting fields and sending info to the html template.
For testing use this html template as an example:
Download html template
How to use it
CasparCG with Html Template Demo (7 min)
Overview of the template source code (12 min)
Go ahead and play with it