This program requires flash.ocx, which is no longer included in this version of Windows

Ok so I’m trying to install CasparCG Server on a 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate machine for the first time. I have successfully done this with other versions of Windows, but this one for some reason is giving me a headache.

I went though all the steps, installed flash using the flashinstaller and created the mms.cfg files.

CasparCG Server opens, and accepts commands from the Client, but when trying to play an .ft, the log displays “Failed to create FlashAxControl”, and when shutting down the server, a pop-up displays “This program requires a missing windows component. This program requires flash.ocx, which is no longer included in this version of windows.”

I have also tried manually to register the flash.ocx files using
regsvr32 “C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\flash.ocx”
regsvr32 “C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\flash.ocx”

But I get an error “The module C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .dll files”

Does anyone have any idea as to what is going wrong and how to fix this issue?

And you are sure, that you did these steps while „Run as Administrator“, right?

Hi @didikunz, yes of course, this is why this particular issue is so puzzling to me. I am using AnyDesk and remotely accessing this machine. I’m right clicking and using Run as administrator for each step. Maybe there might be an issue with running programs as administrator via AnyDesk? But the setup runs fine without any errors, and the ocx and cfg files are created succesfully. This is very puzzling

Hi Didi, does this mean, that I can use my old Flash-based templates with new CasparCG at actual Windows ?

Hi Thomas, yes, you can. I built a new Caspar PC just after Flash EOL, running Windows 10. I run older projects still in Flash, while doing new stuff mostly in HTML.

It is. The only thing, that comes into my mind, is, that you may try the whole process under Windows 10, as this works (for me). On Windows 7 I only tried it, to keep it working (adding the mms.cfg). I never tried a clean install. Maybe there is something not working in Win 7.

And by the way: AnyDesk should not be the reason, as I also did such stuff via TeamViewer and never had any issue. Some people reported issues running CasparCG Server while connected via Windows Remote Desktop, as it messes up some nVidia drivers, but that’s another story.

Indeed, on other windows versions I never had any issues such as this one. Anyway, I’ll keep poking around until I find what’s wrong. There’s always a solution you just have to find it… I just thought if anyone here had a similar issue it would save me some messing-around time. Oh well, thanks for your quick replies, if I find anything worth-while with this issue i’ll post the solution here to save someone else a headache in the future.

1 Like

Just for curiosity: Why does it need to be Win 7?

It doesn’t necessarily have to be Win 7. It’s just what their machine they’re currently working with has installed on it, and asked me to set up Caspar server on. Maybe I’ll just convince them to upgrade to Windows 10 and not need to find workarounds

1 Like