Run CasparCG on docker on MacOS

Hi everyone,

I’m developing a client application for CasparCG. Normally I use a dev CasparCG server installed on a windows server. But thanks to coronavirus, I’m stucked at home without access to this server. So I’m trying to find a solution to work only with my MacBook Pro…

After some reading of Caspar Wiki, I managed to successfully build CasparCG Server on docker on MacOS.
I’m now trying to run the newly created casparcg/server image in docker.

Firstly, Is it possible to do that ?

Here’s what I’ve tried to do:

1- simply run docker run -i -t casparcg/server and then run run_docker.sh resulting with DISPLAY NO SET error

2- After some research, I’ve found that it was possible to define X11 as display on docker on MacOS. So, I installed XQuartz, launch X11 and run a new command:

docker run -e DISPLAY=host.docker.internal:0 -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix -v $HOME/.Xauthority:/root/.Xauthority -i -t casparcg/server

With this output:

[2020-03-30 13:58:37.728] [info] ############################################################################
[2020-03-30 13:58:37.728] [info] CasparCG Server is distributed by the Swedish Broadcasting Corporation (SVT)
[2020-03-30 13:58:37.728] [info] under the GNU General Public License GPLv3 or higher.
[2020-03-30 13:58:37.729] [info] Please see LICENSE.TXT for details.
[2020-03-30 13:58:37.729] [info] http://www.casparcg.com/
[2020-03-30 13:58:37.729] [info] ############################################################################
[2020-03-30 13:58:37.729] [info] Starting CasparCG Video and Graphics Playout Server 2.3.0 N/A Dev
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
Major opcode of failed request: 149 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
Serial number of failed request: 39
Current serial number in output stream: 38

Before going further, I wanted to know if what I’m trying to do is doable or just a waste of time…

Thanks for your help

Wolfgang

I believe what you want will not be possible, as mac os supports up to opengl 4.1, but casparcg requires opengl 4.5.

In a case like this one I’d recommend to do a Windows Boot Camp installation and work from there, as Parallels won’t do either because of graphics access.

As far as Dockerizing CasparCG Server, I remember someone was trying to run Server in a Google Cloud instance, but it required a tremendous amount of work which I don’t know if it ever paid off.