Play YouTube live lip sync problem

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to broadcast a YouTube live stream, by doing the following:

1. Copy the url of the YT livestream
  2. Open this url with VLC
  3. Set the output of VLC to NDI
  4. Play the NDI output of VLC in Caspar

The problem is that the result audio is not in sync with the video, while it is in sync when playing the video in YT. Is there a way to troubleshoot this? Or is there a better way to play a live stream??

Kind regards,
Pieter.

Hi!
I’m sure there must be a better way of playing that YouTube stream for Caspar, however I tried few things yesterday and it didn’t work :smiley:. In VLC, you may use Tools -> Effects and filters, Synchronization tab. In Audio/Video portion, increase the value for delaying audio, or decrease the value for delaying video.

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

If you do find an easier way to play a YouTube video, please let me know :slight_smile:

I tried the synchronization as you describe in VLC, but the problem is that the audio shifts during playback. You can shift the audio to make it synchronous now, but it’ll be different in 10 minutes or so…

Hi!
and what about trying it with OBS. It also has an ndi plugin. And in OBS, you have “browser source”, that you can use to open YouTube player. This can’t be the best solution, but I think it may be viable workaround.

The synchronization error can actually be down to Windows - that was the final reason that made me switch to Linux as my daily driver.

It is also possible to “reassemble” the .m3u8 playlist address with a utility such as youtube-dl, and play it directly with ffmpeg producer in CasparCG.

I have to warn everyone, who is trying to do this. It most likely violates YouTube’s terms of use

Permissions and Restrictions
You may access and use the Service as made available to you, as long as you comply with this Agreement and the law. You may view or listen to Content for your personal, non-commercial use. You may also show YouTube videos through the embeddable YouTube player.

The following restrictions apply to your use of the Service. You are not allowed to:

1. access, reproduce, download, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, alter, modify or otherwise use any part of the Service or any Content except: (a) as specifically permitted by the Service; (b) with prior written permission from YouTube and, if applicable, the respective rights holders; or (c) as permitted by applicable law;

You can find full version here: Terms of Service

2 Likes

I added this to my client program. Working very nice. I noticed from OSC information that stream is of 30fps. So in PAL casparcg lip sync was out. When I set channel mode of any 30fps lip sync was ok.
Untitled

Thanks! I guess I’ll try the ffmpeg producer, since that seems the be the most native solution when it comes to CasparCG.