Performance wise how to use channels and layers?

Hi,

I’m going to use casparcg for dual and quad multibox with decklink inputs and html graphics overlay. I need to display multiples multibox of quad, trio and dual with transitions change over

I wanna know what is the best way to do it? Currently as I’m thinking to do it like this

Method 1:
Channel 1 for final output
Channel 2 for load decklink inputs
Channel 3 and 4 for switching final multibox composition

And trying to do it like this.

Load decklink quad on channel 2 as
play 2-1 decklink 1
Play 2-2 decklink 2
Play 2-3 decklink 3
Play 2-4 decklink 4

And then load quad multibox composition to channel 3 or 4 like

play 3-1 route://2-1 with specific mixer position
play 3-2 route://2-2 with specific mixer position
play 3-3 route://2-3 with specific mixer position
play 3-4 route://2-4 with specific mixer position
Cg 3-5 Add 1 html template 1 {} for overlay graphics name bg etc

and finally route channel 3 to channel 1-1

Using channel 3 and 4 for switching multibox without affecting final output on channel 1-1
Like: if ch 3 routed to main channel 1 and then for next dual or trio multibox. I load it on ch 4 and when load complete finally route to main channel 1-1

Method 2:
Remove channel 2 and load decklink quad inputs on channel 1-1 … 1-4 and use mixer to hide on screen and other channel 3 and ch 4 method is same

My main purpose for asking is system performance I’m using 1080i5000 with quad inputs and 1080i5000 output. So using layers instead of dedicated channel 2 is performance wise better or same ?

Or please do share if you have better solution for this scenario.

Thanks

You would need to test it out, as this scenario is too specific. I personally would give Method 2 a try, as it reduces the latency, because for every route command you get a little delay. So doing it on one channel and animating it around looks promising to me. You ether can use OPACITY to hide pictures or you can animate the MIXER FILL.

Server 2.3 using so much system resources on single decklink 1080i input and html template and server 2.1.13 nrk using less resources as compared to 2.3 but routing layer is not playing smooth
I’m afraid I won’t be able to play 4 decklink inputs + multiple html templates + routing layers smoothly on server 2.3 as it is using so much resources

You might want to test doing this in OBS.

Have you tried with good old 2.0.7?

@hreinnbeck I was thinking to try casparcg first as it is very powerful and easily customizable for production environment also You can use your own custom client according to your requirements and layout.

@didikunz I agree 2.0.7 is very good and stable version but unfortunately it is not good with html.

I love casparcg and hope the next version of casparcg is more efficient with performance

Btw thanks for the suggestions guys :+1:

I know, that 2.0.7 is not good at HTML. But I would it give it a try anyway. Some HTML templates run on it, or only need minor ajustments to run. For these kind of multiview stuff it works great.

I’ll try, thanks :+1: