OLA, MSC, Show Control

So, I was thinking about adding an ArtNet producer and a GPIO/RS232 consumer to be able to create a full-featured show-control setup using CasparCG. I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this or heard of anything similar?

I think on the old forum, there were some tools to “convert” ArtNet to AMCP-Messages but that never worked out for me.
GPI/O is at least implemented in the official client. So you could trigger simple commands from there. I also once used a DMX/ArtNet to OSC-Converter and triggered the Client with that. But thats a lot of steps inbetween… so not really reliable, I guess.

As I understand ArtNet, it‘s basically a DMX over Ethernet. So you get a bunch of value between 0 and 255, that can mean anithing. For Caspar to give them any meaning you would need a controller (Caspar client) that interpretes these raw numbers to commands. So based on the address you could define it to choose a videoclip and play it etc. So I would suggest writing a custom client, that receives ArtNet packages and convert them to AMCP commands via a kind of lookup, that can be defined in its user interface.

EDIT: That seems to exist already and is mentioned in the old forum. Will try to find it in my backup later today.

I looked in the backup, but did not find anything.

I wrote the test app artNet client.
I got it to work as a test thing. On my computer.
I’m not a programmer at all. Was just somthing I did to give me a goal in my programming adventures.

It was simple proof of concept.
I can see if I have it still.

1 Like

Any success so far?

Unfortunately I haven’t touched it yet. Real life getting in the way of development.

Actually a client that can interpret ArtNet Commands would be really nice. As an additional feature an CITP integration would help a lot to exchange the thumbnails so Lightning desks like grandMA can display them…

I have a plan to work on ArtNet on a grandMA2 soon, will share stuff there as soon as it’s working

I Found it. .

i tested this with a Grand MA2
and my primary testing
art-Net Controller
an android app by Litux

it only listens to the first 26 channels.

The dmx mapping

Chanel 1:

any value less than ten will stop channel 1-1
value 10-29
play 1-1 the first video listed in the startupData.xml
value 30-49
play 1-1 the second video listed in the startupData.xml
every increase of 20 will play the next video listed in the xml file.

Chanel 2:
Opacity for channel 1-1
0 = 0% and 255 = 100%

Chanel 3-6:
Each channel corresponds to an edge top, bottom, left, right
Fill Strech
Start this out at 50%on each channel

Chanel 7-10:
Each channel corresponds to an edge top, bottom, left, right
Crop start these out at 100%

Chanel 11:
Brightness
I don’t remember the starting setting probably 50%

Chanel 12:
Contrast

Chanel 13:
Saturation

Chanel 14:
Volume
Probably 11! :-):grinning: Or all the way up.

Sounds really nice. I need to do the other direction, when any PC event (aka event-driven) should send to my GRAND-MA2 a dedicated command so that Light is synchronized with PC events (and not the light engineer to follow every second of the show what happen and reacts)

Not really Caspar Related…
GrandMa has GPI Ports and MIDI , we use these often with game software, running on pc’s

from the GrandMA manual:

Analog Remote

The Analog Remotes tab is used to configure the DC Remote Control input on the back of consoles, RPU, and onPC Command Wings. The consoles and the RPU has 16 contact closure inputs. The onPC Command Wings has 12 contact closure inputs.

The input needs between 5 and 15 volts to be triggered. It is not a variable input. If enough voltage is there, then the input is triggered.

Please read the Connect Analog Remote Control topic to learn more about the hardware part of the input.

The Analog Remotes tab has a column called Input. Here the input number is written.

MIDI Remote

The MIDI Remotes tab used received MIDI notes as the input. There are two special columns in this tab. They are called Note and Channel. These are used to set the MIDI note and channel.

If the Type is set to Exec and the Button is set to Fader, then the velocity of the MIDI note is used to set the position of the executor fader. All other inputs are simple triggers.

Timmalons,

I have done two different things here for this requirement.
Some place I have an arduino program that sends a casparCG command and an artNet command every time some one presses a button.

The other thing i have done is embedded time code on to one of the audio channels of my video files and fed that to a grand ma. That works great. I do have a distripalizer in line there though. I have a tour that starts that way every time. And some exhibits as well.

Hi…A key setting to pay attention to is the TX ID. This is the device ID and it must match the device ID set in Watchout.After all of this is set, you should be able to just set your Control Cues to match the numbers of the cue stack in the lighting desk, and be successfully tracking Midi Show Control.

smt assembly