I don't understand the "fade out" tool

Hi all, new-ish user of CasparCG server here, we’re using it mainly to add HTML graphics to our livestreams and for that it works like a charm. I’ve been exploring the possibility of using CasparCG to play out all of our media, and what I’m struggling with is creating a playlist of videos that fades out at the end. If I create a group with one video and a “fade out” tool, set the group to auto play and the fadeout to “use auto” it works fine. But if I add a second video after the first, the fade out fails to trigger. Am I missing something here? Using server 2.3.3 and the latest client version.

Thanks

The fade tool uses a fully transparent black colour still. If you look at the server mesages you will see that the first video is loaded and autoplayed, with the fade still loaded into the background ready to auto transition. So where you have just one video plus the fade this runs the fade out when the first video is completing (fade starts at end of video - fade out duration).

When you have multiple items in the group, the fade out is sent as a loadbg command with the first video running. But the client subsequently loads the second video into the background of the channel-layer, replacing the fade out still. Hence the behaviour you observed.

The work around is to create a short duration standard video clip with the fade duration you want. The solid black video clip means you can set the fade duration in the inspector, using up to the length of the black clip.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation!