Flash end of life

maybe we should try something like “convert”, Adobe Animate has some tutorials
The extra work is when we have .as3

I found that also and will give Haxe/OpenFL a try in the next few days…

I usually install “Stop Updates” on the PC’s with Caspar. It’s been working great so far.

https://greatis.com/stopupdates10/

Of course if you’re browsing the web it could mean a security risk if you only use windows defender.

Hopefully it will keep functioning properly until we decide we’re ready to change to HTML…

I finally got a response from my contact a Adobe:

Finally got some “what happens with Flash?” info!
Colleague says:
“We have implemented a “killswitch” that changes Flash to block playback by default on January 12th. This can be worked around by adding sites to an internal “allowlist”, which will then allow Flash to work normally for any URL explicitly defined. Of course, the other issue customers will run into is browser support, with only IE and edge being the last browser to continue to support Flash post 2020.”

She also pointed us to the FAQ page we already know.

This page refers the Flash Admin Guide that, starting from page 28 describes what actions need to be taken, to allow Flash player to work after the deadline. In short: A config file mms.cfg needs to be created (encoded in UTF-8), with a few settings, outlined in the document. On page 36 it says where we have to put that file. Hope this helps to solve the confusion.

Anybody is invited to share his mms.cfg file here, if he thinks, that he has one that is working for others.

2 Likes

I’ve done some digging and there are a lot of people that play old Flash games that have put considerable time into making sure they can still play them.

I’ve found these guys created their own Flash Player to achieve this - https://www.newgrounds.com/flash/player

And there is an Open Source project which currently only handles AS1+2 but 3 is on a 4 month roadmap https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle

It’s not my area of knowledge by any shot, but from @didikunz’s post above it sounds like there is a good workaround in place (hoping someone clever than I creates and shares a mmm.cfg file on here) maybe someone else with a clever development skillset would see a value in incorporating the Ruffle Flash player as some form of Caspar bolt on once it is AS3 complaint?

Only vague thoughts I had and maybe not even slightly useful, but I thought i’d share.

1 Like

WOW, That works. After just installing flash templates worked again in Caspar.

We tried the mms.cfg but with no effect yet.

I guess you will only see a difference after January 12. I will ask at Adobe for a better explanation of the mms.cfg, as there are a lot of things in that document, that I don’t find very logical…

1 Like

what was it you installed @wiljan.hobbelink?

Never mind, We got it works again but not because I installed one of the open source flash players.
We got it working again on windows preview where flash was disabled already
with regsvr32.exe c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx in CMD.
But if you set the time forward after the killswitch it doesn’t work anymore. I’ll keep de time forwarded and than try to reactivate it somehow.

1 Like

@wiljan.hobbelink What version activex are you running?

We’re running v31 on Windows 7 and moving the time forward didn’t break it. So I’m not sure if we did the test wrong or if we’re currently immune.

The kill switch is placed in v32.0.0.380, before that there is no kill switch. But with a windows recommended update that is released this week Flash gets removed in its whole from system32 and sysWOW64.

1 Like

This article may be of interest
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-releases-update-to-remove-adobe-flash-from-windows/

1 Like

Can’t we go to lighspark? To keep the flash templates working?

Maybe even implement it in caspar, so flash is disabled in the browser but you can still use templates.

I am still dealing with Adobe for a solution. It should be possible and they are very supportive. Will post back with news.

2 Likes

That would be awesome! Thanks for your hard work!

Does flash stop working on 31dec or 15jan? Because with new years events that is a good one to know.

Trying to go to HTML5 but AS3 and cool setups just work better for me. Cloning objects with different data and images in HTML5 is just so much easier.

Lucky AIR apps that I use as custom clients are not effected.

If I remember right it‘s the 12th.

Hi @didikunz
Just wondering if your discussions with Adobe have progressed at all?
Kind Regards
Steve

Yes, we are still talking and they are very helpful. Jerome Clark, a member of Adobe’s Flash EOL team just posted a bug report on our Github page. Hope we find somebody willing to resolve that issue on our side. I am not a c++ programmer, so I cannot do that.

1 Like

Thanks for your help reaching out to them.

I read the bug report but I’m not sure I understood it correctly. Does he mean that the workaround will only work on Windows7 machines?

No, the debug version will only work on Win 7 as soon as we have the issue resolved it will run with the normal Flash player on all platforms.

1 Like