Does Casper do NDI in and out?

Someone told me ( and they could be completely wrong) that CasperCG can be used to input NDI and output it in SDI using a Blackmagic card?? Is this true and if yes how difficult is it.

Many thanks

Dominic

Since version 2.3.0 Caspar has a NDI consumer. So somehow it is possible to play a NDI source on a layer. But alas I don’t know the command to use.

It’s quite simple!
PLAY 1-1 “ndi://COMPUTER/SOURCE”

Change to your COMPUTER and SOURCE parameters as they appear in Studio Monitor.

You can use transitions and other parameters with PLAY, LOAD and LOADBG

1 Like

That sounds great.

If I had a computer fast enough and installed with a 8 channel SDI card, would it convert 8 channels of NDI to SDI at the same time? Would is be simply bringing in 8 NDI inputs and then assigning them to the the SDI card outputs? I’m looking at this as an alternative to Birddog converters or Sienna multi software + it means my clients can also use CasperCG for the normal stuff too if needed.

In theory yes. But a system capable of doing this is quickly as expensive as a bunch of BirdDogs.

I completely agree, my only thinking is I would have a system that’s capable of doing other things if needed. At the moment I’m the UK the Birddog Quad isn’t yet available

Since you can open multiple instances of OBS I think OBS is a more user friendly solution.
Reason: it shows the names of the NDI-streams. In CasparCG you have to find them in a different program (NDI Studio Monitor/ Analysis or simular).
Personally I think Sienna Multi is worth it price.

It’s very easy to make a simple UI for finding NDI devices and showing them on Caspar.
A couple of server instances should handle them without problems.

No, AFAIK it always passes through the GPU at least once unfortunately

That would be great.
A client called NDI IN/OUT
The only thing you could do is add NDI to SDI channel and vice versa.
Could be as simple as 2 colums of dropdowns , column 1 IN - column 2 Out.
In the config you just decide if decklinks are channels or can be Inputs.
In column 1 there is avalible NDI streams & Decklink devices
In column 2 there is avaible channels (SDI & NDI)

by the way if anyone missed olzzon has made a NDI to SDI encoder

That’s what I thought.
You can also have a low bandwidth preview in the client for checking availability and showing a no-signal card.

OBS is worth looking at then, it’s nice and simple. I’m currently testing Sienna, either way I’d obviously need a fairly powerful computer.