Decklink Quad 2 Issues

The card is BRAND new. Like we just bought it to do CasparCG stuff from B&H. Currently running 2.3.3 server. I will give 2.0.7 a try. I may even try all the other versions.

Just tried several versions and still the same results. Tried 2.07, 2.2.0, 2.3.0, 2.3.1, and 2.3.2 still the same issue where if I have 1 channel plays perfectly fine. If I add another the video stutters and the audio is horrible. I think I will just throw videos on via UltraStudio Mini HD. As when I have all channels enabled with either the Mini HD or the Mini 4k the videos play PERFECTLY via the Ultrastudios.

@bifuteki
This seems to be a bottleneck somewhere.

If one of your PC have intel CPU and real PCIe slots (not via Thunderbolt bridge) check first how many electrical lanes the slot have, then check whether the slot have no shared lanes and select the one which have the lanes connected to the CPU directly not via internal bridge and then plug there.
Quad 2 is PCI Express 8 lane gen2. You can also check in BIOS whether is anything related to that slot.
(Duo 2 is 4 lanes only. It seems your problems occur when going from 4 lanes to 8.)

As @didikunz said:
Make sure that the card really get 8 PCIe lanes (not shared, not bridged)

1 Like

I use the free version of SiSoftware Sandra to check the PCIe lanes. That makes it easier.

Sometimes one need to disable some USB ports or such stuff in the BIOS to give a slot more PCIe lanes. Had a similar issue with my last PC, where I had only 4 SATA ports, unless I disabled a buch of unnecessary USB ports. So it is always good to check the BIOS doc very carefully.

Going to give both suggestions a go in a bit.

So just check and I am getting 2 results in the software you suggested, both X4. Does this mean its bridged?

You say, that on the PCIe slot the Quad 2 is placed it shows you two tomes 4x? If yes, that is normal, I saw the same, when I configured PCā€™s with two Quad 2 each. So that seems not to be the problem. That leaves us with no solution again. What is the spec of the HDD/SSD you play the videos from? Is it a dedicated drive or does it contain OS or other stuff?

Samsung 970 pro 1tb. Dedicated only for CasparCG.

@bifuteki
Can you please post exact make and model of the motherboard.
Also the exact CPU.

Hey Dan, so I am only testing on 2 machines now. One is an Intel NUC hades canyon. Has an Intel Core i7-8809G and the GPU is a Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics. The other machine is a Mac Pro 2013 that has a Xeon E5 2690 V2 and has 2 D500 Fireproā€™s. These are the machines I am currently using for graphics and video playback.

INTEL NUC has dual M.2 slots with PCIe x4 lanes and 2 ports TB3 so it doesnt count.

MAC Pro 2013:
If things are as described here

and here:
https://www.sewelltech.com/mac-pro-2013-tech-series-part-5/
ā€œit lacks the PCIe expansion slots necessary to install specialty cardsā€

As long in both situations you will use expansion over Thunderbolt 2 on MAC (x 4 PCIe 2.0 lanes) and Thunderbolt 3 on NUC ( @Julusian already told that TB3 is PCIe3x4 lanes) things will not work as expected. You need a real 8 lanes electrical PCIe slot.
I think you have to consider another platform.

I think you havenā€™t read what I said before. The card shows up twice both as X4 PCI2 which is what its supposed to as @didikunz stated earlier. So lets move along and try to figure out WHY CASPARCG does not allow me to use the card PROPERLY. I have stated before that I can open up 8 instance of OBS Studio and PLAY OUT random videos on all 8 OUT PUTS of the card. SO now that you know that can we please get to the ISSUE at hand.

If we now are at that! I can say the samr :smiley:

I answered this before saying it was a 970 Pro Samsung for the NUC. Which is what we normally use. As I am testing on several devices the main machine we would like for the Quad 2 to work with is the Mac Pro so it would be the same drive as the OS is on. Seeing as the issue is happening on both machines, I would like to get some kind of solution to one and maybe it can help me with the other.

But then we have it. To be able to play multiple videos from a Caspar you need at least a dedicated SSD or better a RAID 0 of SSDā€˜s. I donā€˜t know why it works with OBS and why Caspar needs more I/O bandwidth, but that is not the point here.

@bifuteki I was just trying to help you.
Donā€™t understand why you are nervous on me.

ā€œthink you havenā€™t read what I said beforeā€

Thatā€™s why I quote you:
'I can open up 4 instances of OBS and play out video from all 4 with NO issue."

and a few messages later:
ā€œI have stated before that I can open up 8 instance of OBS Studio and PLAY OUT random videos on all 8 OUT PUTS of the cardā€

2 answers not consistent each other.

Here is my opinion assuming you need a stable solution not a tweaked one:
Get a HP workstation, even an old z400/ z600/ z800 second hand + a decent nvidia quadro card (not ATI/AMD) will easily do the job, put your quad2 card there then calculate the storage needs in terms of bandwidth and size according to the codec you will use.

Or even better ask other forum members what platform do they use in production.

So nothing is tweaked. As I have stated before. We can use a duo 2 along with two ultra studios with no problems. No video hiccups, audio plays out fine. I have recently tried just playing video out with OBS studio using the decklink play out in several instances and it plays out fine via the Quad 2 on the Mac Pro. This topic has been open for over 4 days so I have tried many things to try to isolate the issue. Me testing with OBS play out tells me that itā€™s not a hardware issue that is limiting me from being able to play out videos via the card. Someone stated earlier that trying a different codec could help. I tried the suggested codecs and no luck. I tried the videos that come with some installations and those videos also do not play out correctly. I just need to know what I need to adjust in CasparCG so that it just works via the Quad 2. If not I am perfectly ok with using an ultra studio hd mini which works while using the Quad 2 for video playback.

This could be the AMD GPUs.

Also did you test removing latency low or setting it to normal? It has an impact on the available buffers

Regarding comparison to OBS, it uses normal latency mode for Decklink and if you donā€™t set keyer to external it will use UYVY instead of BGRA like CCG does. Iā€™m not sure if OBS does comparable compositing to CCG on the GPU, but you need to factor into your PCI bandwidth that every frame goes in and out of the GPU before being sent to the Decklink.

I have not tried turning off low latency. I am gonna be doing a show today. I can try this out tomorrow. I donā€™t think itā€™s the AMD GPU giving an issue as itā€™s doing the same thing on an nvidia machine.

Would it be an idea to

1. test with different config files aka 1 decklink channel, 2 decklink channel ā€¦
  2. test with another output than SDI aka NDI, 2 NDI, 3 NDI ā€¦with NO Decklink consumers
  3. take a screen shot of diag with 2 SDI and post that and a log file here
  4. what does diag show if you output a PNG as 4 SDI consumers
  5. the read/write speed of the SSD

I think we need to learn what is the source problem, decklink or files/SSD.
considering what @dan said that Quad2 needs a PCIe x8 gen2 here was still not confirmed that the card was in a such a slot.
Also one thing that no one has remembered to confirm is that the files have the same framerate as the Caspar-channel.