Caspar Client's library is stuck

Helo,

for some years now I use the Caspar Client.
For the moment when I delete video’s or when I put video’s in the media directory the Client doesn’t show them when I refresh the library. Even when I switch between different versions of clients and servers the library shows me the files that where in the media directory a few weeks ago.

I regularly do playout with the streamdeck and companion app. When I put new video’s in the media directory. Caspar Client doesn’t see them but when I give the command of playing out the new clips with the companion app the server start playing them. So the server connects to them but the Clients library is stuck.

Anyone knows the problem and solution?

thanks

Are you connected to a switch?
Theres a know “bug”/feature that has to do with the scanner.
Another possible cause could be if you are using a “own” config-file and have in that assigned folders that aint the same as in casparcg.config-file. Somehow the scanner is reading the casparcg.config-file independent from what CasparCG server is reading.
Dont know why and how to really fix them, has just used these “dirty workarounds” to get it working

Which version of server and client do you normally use? The processing of the media lists differs between server versions, changing from an integrated scanning process in versions 2.0 and 2.1 to a stand alone task in versions 2.3 and 2.3. As Markus notes in his post the database in version 2.2 or 2.3 can get out of step with the files.

The note below is a summary of postings elewhere on this forum, and a recipe of how to reset the databases in the server and the client connecting to that server.

Symptom
Media file list on disc does not match the list(s) in the client library boxes.

Software tools required

1. Windows File Explorer
  2. DB Browser for SQLite (free)

Background
Server version 2.2 uses an associated task to scan for media. This task stores the scan results in a Pouch database on the CasparCG server host computer. This database information is sent to the client when requested, such as when the client connects to the server. The client stores the information in a SQLite database on the client host computer.

The software design assumes that the scanner is always active, and hence it detects changes in the media folder, updating the pouch database as needed, passing the changes to the connected client(s).
If the scanner is not running when media is added to or deleted from the media store it may fail to be detected when the scanner next starts. Media type detection as video still or audio sometimes fails. When the media is re-scanned and correctly detected the change does not get reported to the client.

The simplest fix for these issues is to force a re-build of the scanner and then client databases.

Step 1 - Stopping Tasks
On the CasparCG server computer(s) stop the server executable and the scanner. The server is closed by typing kill in the DOS server window. The scanner DOS style window can be closed by the standard windows close icon in the title bar.

On all client machines, stop the CasparCG client using the standard windows close mechanism.

Step 2 - Server Computer(s)
On each computer locate the folder that contains the CasparCG server executable. Delete media and pouch_all_dbs_ folders.

Step 3 - Client Computer(s)
Locate the folder that stores the client database file.

This may be the default location, or a user selected storage location. If the client is using a user selected location this will be shown on the Target line of the shortcut that starts the client. A user database path and location is entered after a -t identifier. The default is in a sub-folder of the Users home folder. For a user called “myname” the database file is:

C:\Users\myname\.CasparCG\Client\Database.s3db

Run the DB Browser for SQLite program. Click the Open Database button on the shortcuts bar. Set the file type to All Files and locate the database file you identified, then click the Open button.

Select the Browse Data tab, then choose the Library table via the drop-down list box. Select all the records in the table, then click the delete record icon (table with a red circle containing a minus sign) to delete all records. Choose the Thumbnail table, select all records and delete them.

Close the database (File menu) then close the DB Browser program.

Step 4 - Restart CasparCG Server(s)
Start the CasparCG server using the desktop shortcut or the casparcg_auto_restart.bat batch file in the server folder.

This rebuilds the pouch database on the server computer. There is a lot of activity in the scanner window. When this activity completes, move to step 5.

Step 5 - Restart CasparCG Client
Use the desktop shortcut on the client computer as this selects the correct local database. The client contacts the servers defined in the client configuration server list, updating the client media database and thumbnails.

Helo Markus and Andy,

thanks for the support!
I managed to get it working again.

I cleaned the library and thumbnail folder with the DB browser SQ lite and I restarted all but it was only untill I started the scanner that it would refresh the library.

However I never started the scanner and now I have to start it before it can update the library.
Was this a tool that was running in the background in the older versions and do you have to manualy switch it on in the newer 2.3.3 version of the server?

Server 2.0 and 2.1 had the media and template scanning processes embedded within the server. Server version 2.2 and later run the media scanner as a seperate, stand-alone task. The server distribution includes a batch file (casparcg_auto_restart.bat) that starts the scanner task then starts the server.

So you must either manually run the scanner task then start the server, or use the batch file to start them in the required sequence.

The scanner task also exposes some http: endpoints that allow an external task, such as a media manager, to fetch information about the templates and media files without using AMCP commands.