Using Affinity Photo for making templates? And what is the future way of making templates?

I have recently made an effort to get rid of my dependencies on Adobe. It has simply become too expensive to keep paying their ever increasing prices. Especially since you are left with nothing if you stop the subscription.

The alternative editing program I am using now is called Affinity Photo. The also have Affinity Designer (vector illustration) and Affinity Publisher (similar to inDesign). Each of them is only 50 USD and well worth the price.

I would love to be able to use these programs instead of Adobe programs to make templates for CCG. But I guess that depends on the way templates will be made in the future. Can anyone say a little about this? What are you guys thinking will be the future way of making templates?

An alternative to AfterEffects could be Fusion.

I am expecting CasparCG will continue forward with HTML as underlying technology for templates, exactly in what form that will be (pure code, hybrid design to code toolchain or purely UI tools) is hard to tell currently

I think @mint made the point. As far as I can see from looking at Serifs website, none of these programs can output any kind of animation format, that can be used as a basis for a template. Also Fusion only supports rendering video files. Something like body movin (for After Effects) would be needed, to get any further.

Is there an official route yet?
For years Flash was the official route and had some good tutorials etc. to help you get started. I’ve never yet found this for HTML, Body Movin or whatever else?

There are good ones like this or this.

I do not agree, I think we never had such good tutorials for Flash as what these guys came up with.

We are still trying to get Adobe to contribute to Body Movin to make the Essential Graphics add their variables to the output of Body Movin in a way, that we could use them directly from Caspar, But until now there was not enough (Swiss) chocolate to make that work :slight_smile:

Hi Didi

Thanks for responding. The two links are indeed excellent.

I found this one very useful but was missing the “next steps”.

It looks on first view that this one fills the gap of what to do next. In fact I wasn’t aware of the CasparCG HTML Template Guide. It looks excellent.

I stand corrected and appreciate your links!

As for Flash guides, maybe I just found the Flash templates easier due to my level of prior Flash experience.
I’ll spend some time going through the HTML Template Guide now!

Shame about Body Movin. I’ll check my cupboards for more Swiss chocolate, but if I find any I’ll probably just eat it :wink:

That was more of a joke, as there is that ‚transatlantic chocolate exchange‘ between some of the Caspar community and Victoria, the After Effects product manager…

1 Like