Server frontend / watchdog

cool :grinning: :+1:t2: …and thanks!

You kan see it here:

My bad… usually only looked into the actual casparcg.config example at the end. The wiki is not very accurate sometimes.

Use this link to download an updated version (it’s the same as the first post in this thread). I commited the changes in GitHub but didn’t add a new release for the moment.

That was quick - Thanks!

1 Like

@rrebuffo Great Tool :+1: In the executeables configuration there is the posibility to add arguments. Is there any documentation for possible arguments ? I’m specifically looking for a way to run the media scanner at a different port than 8000.

You should be able to change the port via config:

<amcp>
  <media-server>
    <host>localhost</host>
    <port>8000</port> 
  </media-server>
</amcp>

Thanks jcalado. That changes the port where the server is looking for the scanner but not the port of the scanner it self. If I change that to e.g. 8008 the server does not find the scanner still running at 8000.

oh. sorry then.
I’ve looked at the code of the scanner app and didn’t really find any arguments to be passed to it… I might be wrong though.

I would be easy enough to fork it and add that capability to it and maybe even contribute it back

I think you are correct. It may be hardcoded.
Maybe @Julusian, @mint or @Nytamin could clarify?

I’ve forked it an added the functionality.
Problem: I’m having issues with the build tool used to package the app.

Can run it from command line though.

Thanks @jcalado that was fast! As I’m not a coding guy I cannot help with building binaries. But I will be very happy to test and use it.

Help, This looks nice - but I accidentally changed the language. and I can’t get it back to English. I deleted the %appdata folder etc.

Is the resources dll in the “en” folder present?
The app should fall back to spanish only if the OS is in spanish or that dll is missing when launching for the first time (or deleting the configuration in %APPDATA%)

1 Like

New update available:

UI Changes

• Changed the default language to English to allow execution without the extra localized resource folder (Spanish translation now requires the “es” folder to run)
  • Executables’ tabs:
    • Switched console output from a plain TextBox to a DataGrid for better performance when using higher log levels.
    • Added color coded log levels to each line for better readability.
    • Added a dropdown menu to the server tab for quick log level change at runtime.
  • Tray icon:
    • Fixed warning icons for missing executables.

Configuration editor:

• Added screen consumer’s name field.
2 Likes

Thanks to keep updating it :slight_smile:
much more readable now and functional :slight_smile:

Do you think would be feasible for the future to add a search function?
I normally still have to open the log on notepad ++ to properly check the log when looking for some specific issues or messages sent.

Thanks!

It is feasible but with some caveats: The current implementation uses a collection for the output buffer stored exclusively on RAM, that means that any output line shown before the buffer gets filled will not show up.
Getting rid of the buffer limit will increase the amount of memory used by the launcher over time and that’s no good. If your buffer is relatively short (25k lines) then filtering that would be trivial.
I will look into a way to virtualize the display of larger log files for a future release.

1 Like

Very nice to see a new frontend for the CCG server, like to share my experience with it and perhaps give suggestions on adding features. Potentially if they seem useless to you I would fork this project and add it myself.

1. Status window - process uptime
  2. Server/Scanner window- perhaps trivial but why not add restart button after stop button
  3. Would be nice to have channel_grid button, next to the diag button
  4. I really like the Startup commands window, tried finding where it’s saving config for it but wasn’t able. Checked \AppData\Local\CasparLauncher but didn’t find it. Would love to see import and export options for it.

Maybe it is a personal issue because I rarely reboot my test server, but app didn’t want to start until I rebooted windows. It was able to find scanner.exe but server.exe wasn’t possible to start, went true 3 versions until realized I need to reboot windows.

Hi Janis, all those suggestions are excellent, thank you!

I thought of adding the restart button in the past but never did.
The process uptime would be a nice addition as well as the channel grid button.

It’s saved along with the rest of the settings in %APPDATA%/CasparLauncher/CasparLauncher.exe_[hash]/[version]/user.config but sadly it’s an XML nested inside the settings XML so it will be harder to edit manually.
A quick way to import/export would be to set up the DataGrid properly so you can copy and paste lines in bulk.

It did happen to me in the past. It is a bug that always forget to fix. It has to do with the windows scaling functions, it throws an error when trying to find the current monitor scale. Logging off and on fixes it.

Could you add issues for those suggestions/bugs in the GitHub repo? They souldn’t be too detailed or formatted, it’s just so I can remember and organize myself :sweat_smile:. I will address them as soon as I can.

New release:

UI Changes

Main window

• Status tab:
    • Added uptime indicator for each executable.
    • Added context menu to the buttons.
  • Executables’ tabs:
    • Added channel grid button.
    • Button layout and state fixes.
  • Config tab:
    • Added buttons to start/stop/restart all executables.
    • Added restart button to executables.
    • Added uptime indicator to executables.

Tray icon

• Added uptime label for the executable submenus.
  • Added channel grid button.

Executable options window

• Enabled copy and paste support for startup commands.

Bug fixes

• Fixed a startup bug that prevented some executables from starting if a process is already running.
  • Fixed a crash when clicking stop again when the executable is still stopping.
  • Fixed the bug that emptied the configuration file after a version upgrade.
4 Likes

Last night I published two releases:

An update to the current version with a major bug fix

A brand new version with 2.4 support, some performance improvements and a new UI

I’ve been working on the app to add support to server 2.4 and ended up rebuilding it to make it simpler to maintain in the future.

A couple of warnings:

• The settings for this new version are stored next to CasparLauncher.exe and it will not carry the settings of the previous version, but now it can be copied from one instance to another or moved with the exe without losing the config.

• The app now requires the .NET 8 Desktop runtime to be installed. But, the release includes a self-contained version for x64 with the runtime built-in, at the cost of a ~150MB file size. The repo was updated to point out the building process for this.

2 Likes

Great! working like a charm.