Getting data from XML database and updating textfields live (dynamic text)

There is NodeJS and NodeCG. AFAIK with NodeCG you do not build templates in the sense we use it in Caspar, they kind of build a website that is displayed as a whole inside a layer in Caspar. NodeJS is a JavaScript library.

This may not be the best solution if you donā€™t have that much experience with NodeJS but, I wrote a post on how to setup a basic HTTP server with Websocket support here. Here is a shameless plug for an HTML template guide as well. It will get you up and running with custom / dynamic HTML templates.

Hi, I use the xml way with flash templates and actionscript.
Iā€™m working in motorport and the time keeper share a xml file with all the data.
No problem with refresh rate over 10Hz but no need to go faster.
Unfortunally sometimes I experience some template crash, related to the xml load somehow.
I guess the problem occur when the template read the file when is being written, or something similar.

Are HTML templates better than Flash templates - or itā€™s just personal preference?

I want to try and make a template for a client who has scoring software which outputs data as XML, and while Iā€™ve managed to create the template in Flash - I didnā€™t know if itā€™s better to make in HTML?

Once I know what templates I should making, then I can learn how to get the data into them!!

You should do them in HTML. Flash is EOL.

Balls. Well it was fun learning the Flash methodā€¦

Time to get my head round HTMLā€¦ Iā€™ve got a little bit of experience over the years so hopefully that can be applied!!