608 / 708 Closed captions out Decklink SDI

I would sugest that the command disables the caption passtrough on the other layers, instead of returning an error.

Everything else, as far as I understands it, sounds ok for me.

I finally got ffmpeg to pass captions, needed to compile with libklvanc. Is there any way to implement libklvanc into CasparCG on a layer that can be specified? Thanks and Happy New Year!

I am hoping to find a solution for passing closed captions out* CasparCG to a Blackmagic design Decklink board. Closed captioning displays the audio portion of a television program as text on . the TV screen , providing a critical link to news, entertainment and information for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. Captions are no longer analog signals buried in the invisible raster scan of the analog TV signal. Digital captions are stored in the signal as bits. The problem is that HDMI connectors only carry the video and audio signals . They can’t carry the digital captions.

AFAIK Decklink cards do not support closed captions, maybe you can ask BMD support.

Modern decklink cards do support captions and ancillary data output as long as the software does. The commercial playout system that our TV station uses is doing just that with decklink cards. CasparCG is not currently set up to support captions. Some people have gotten FFMPEG to output captions to a decklink card as referenced above. Right now most software to do this costs thousands of dollers per channel.

This appears to be spam, I removed the link from the message which has nothing to do with the subject.

If someone is interested in getting captions to work on Casparcg I have a process write up on how to build ffmpeg with 708 CC output on a BMD card on Linux. Works great with good captions… As discussed in other threads, Casparcg would need to work with layers or bypass… would be nice for a simple CC compliant playlist player, maybe no layers available for this output or something then you could switch back to regular Casparcg. In the states you cannot put anything on air longer than 5 minutes without CC… so you cannot use Casparcg in the US really.

I would love to see that ffmpeg write up, as that is something that I have wanted to do for a while. I wish I had a sense of what the necessary integrations would cost. It may be a little while before the station I work at would be able to help, but they do want to find a better playout solution than what we are currently using. CasparCG would make a great backend player for that as the Superfly team has shown.